Emissions Testing vs. Smog Check
State and local mandated emissions testing meets the EPA Tier 2 standard, while smog testing meets California's higher standard for EPA Tier 3.
How Do I Know If I Need a Smog Test?
Your DMV registration renewal notice will indicate "Smog Check Required" if your vehicle needs a smog check.
When Is a Smog Check Required?
- If you are selling a car or truck that is more than four years old
- When you register an out-of-state vehicle for the first time in California, you will need a smog check
- Every other year for vehicles that are more than six years old
When Is a Smog Check Not Required?
- 100% electric-powered vehicles do not need a smog check
- Motorcycles do not need a smog check
- Got a classic car? Vehicles that are model-year 1975 and older do not require a smog check
- Vehicles six model years and newer do not require a biennial Smog check
- Selling your car? Cars that are four model years and newer do not require a change-of-ownership Smog check
- Diesel-powered trucks that are model year 1997 and older
- Diesel-powered trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 14,000 pounds
I had such a good experience - this was my 'test' for future work since I'm determined to avoid the dealership (New West Valley Location) at all costs. I'm at the front of the pack for Fiat - bought mine first, so now that it is getting older it is going to start needing repairs. I am pleased to have found you and will spread the word within the Fiat community the best I can for all the owners who will be right behind me in needing repairs. SO HAPPY I FOUND YOU!! I will absolutely be back for future repairs, tires, anything else as needed. Thank you for being such a great little local shop!